What are your greatest weakness? Or What is Your Greatest Weakness?
This is a leading interview question that every recruiters may ask you in an job interview. You should answer this question that should match to job requirements, your resume and cover letter. You also find more interview questions. ..at sidebar.
1. Answer structure
These are two popular ways that are used to answer this questions:
a) First way: Turning your strong point into weak point.
b) Second way: Solving your weakness absolutely. A better approach is that you state one point which was once your weakness, but you have done well to resolve it.
2. Answer tips
• Don’t try to make up a weakness.
• Don’t say you have no weakness. No one is perfect, therefore, you shouldn’t say you have no weakness.
• Always keep answering questions in a positive manner.
• Avoid directing the interviewer into negative thinking.
• In any question, including this one, you want to communicate optimistic approach and enthusiasm – two important qualities to demonstrate in interviews.
• Never list a key element of the job as your weakness!
3. Answer samples
Answer sample 1
Weakness which is not related to the job: I find accounting (or mathematics) as my major/biggest weakness. Even at home my wife is in charge of our books. Though it bores me, recently, I managed to learn some functions for having an idea of key accounting basics.
Answer sample 2
Weakness the interviewer already knows: I lack general work experience because I spent many years in advancing my education. However, my education has prepared me for the job – I learned some skills that couldn’t be gained as extensively in any regular job, such as: research experience that helped me analyzing and developing A, B, C.
Answer sample 3
Weakness that can be considered as a positive attitude: I don’t know to balance work and personal life. I love my work, but my family is neglected sometimes because of this. I often put in 12-hour working day. I am now learning to better manage my time as well as my personal life.
Related docs to job interview
• Homepage: Second interview questions.